SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA - MARCH 16: David Draiman of Disturbed performs at The Fillmore on March 16, 2016 in San Francisco,
Miikka Skaffari/FilmMagic
Disturbed is riding its highest-charting hit ever with its surprisingly tender cover of Simon & Garfunkel’s “The Sound of Silence.” The 1966 original, meanwhile, is back on Billboard’s Hot Rock Songs chart thanks to a popular meme in which Ben Affleck is caught staring off into the distance as he’s asked about the backlash toward his latest film, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
Disturbed frontman David Draiman has seen the Affleck meme, and while he enjoyed it, the singer is also ready to drop some serious knowledge on critics: Batman v Superman was actually really good!
“It was pretty funny—Ben wasn’t exactly keeping his poker face too well, that’s for damn sure,” Draiman tells Fuse of the meme. “I, for one, don’t get the critics’ negative reaction to the movie! I saw it myself not too long ago and I really loved it. There’s no questions that there are holes in the plot and some things don’t make perfect sense transitionally, but it’s dark, much like the Frank Miller graphic novels were supposed to be. I really enjoyed it. I left the theater feeling very satisfied. 
“And to be honest,” he continues, “I think that Affleck’s incarnation of Batman is my favorite, even better than [Christian] Bale’s, in my opinion. And I didn’t expect to feel that way, but I thought that he was great, and I would love to see him in a solo movie playing the role. I had heard that he had written a script for another potential Batman movie, and I hope that, whether it’s [Batman v Superman director] Zack Snyder or anybody else, that they end up following through with it, because I think it’s something that would be great.”
In the same way that Draiman doesn’t get the critical vitriol aimed at Batman v Superman, the Disturbed leader also doesn’t understand why critics loved the record-setting Star Wars: The Force Awakens, released last December.
“I don’t get how the critics slam this but somewhat praise the last Star Wars movie, which I thought was okay, but not what everyone else was thinking,” he explains. “I was like, ‘Oh come on, try to come up with an original plot here, and not just mimic the first damn Star Wars movie’s plot.’ But you can never really base your judgment of things these days, and that seems to be proven more and more often these days, by what critics say about anything. I completely don’t trust critical reviews. I typically ask my friends and people I know for their opinion, rather than reading a review of something online.”
Click here to read Draiman’s thoughts on the “overwhelming” response to Disturbed’s “The Sound of Silence” cover, from the group’s latest album, Immortalized.